Monday, November 26, 2007

What I am listening to at the moment

It was just over two years ago that I bought my first MP3 player and I still have it and use it as well, although mainly these days for listening to the radio. My latest player is of course the ubiquitous Apple iPod, which seems to be everywhere you look. Why did I succumb to this badge of consumerism? Oh, I don't know, it just looked nice, is very small and holds loads of songs! There, I was sucked in by the advertising! The only disappointment is that it doesn't have a radio. Ideally what I wanted was a portable digital radio player with MP3 as well but my search for anything that amply fulfilled both categories was fruitless. So my trusty 2-year old and ridiculously bulky original MP3 fills in the radio role.

It might sound strange but I don't often use my iPod when I am 'out and about.' Mainly it is a portable player for when I am at home and want to just choose some music instantly to suit a particular mood rather than heading through my collection of CD's. I have to say the iPod proved its usefulness when I was working in London as an accompaniment on the train, although personally I do find the prolific use of iPods and MP3s in public rather rude! Not so much the considerate ones and I hope I am amongst them who listen to their music at a level that doesn't deafen everyone else in the carriage.What really irritates me though is when people will attempt to hold a conversation with you while shoved in one or both ears are their iPod headphones. It's as bad as someone chewing gum while they're talking.

Anyhows before I get started on another rant, these are twenty of my favourite tracks, which I am listening to at the moment on my iPod (in no particular order).

1/. Babylon - David Gray
2/. Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
3/. Crown Imperial - William Walton
4/. Adagio for Spartacus & Phrygia (from the ballet suite, Spartacus) - Aram Khachaturian
5/. Red Light Spells Danger - Billy Ocean
6/. The Ashokan Farewell - Jay Unger
7/. Elegy for Dunkirk (from the soundtrack to the film Atonement) - Dario Marianelli
8/. Benedictus (from The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace) - Karl Jenkins
9/. Live Like Horses (Live) - Elton John & Luciano Pavarotti
10/. Original Sin - Elton John
11/. Seize the Night - Meat Loaf
12/. Nella Fantasia - Il Divo
13/. Summon the Heroes - John Williams
14/. Happy Heart - Andy Williams
15/. Back for Good - Take That
16/. Sinnerman - Nina Simone
17/. First Essay for Orchestra - Samuel Barber
18/. Forever Young - Meat Loaf
19/. Anakin's Betrayal (from the soundtrack of the film Revenge of the Sith) - John Williams
20/. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eclectic!

Anonymous said...

theresa recently treated us to a couple of ipod nanos...
i've been waiting weeks for a couple of proper updates and we get reminded of your terrible taste in music.
thanks.
hurry up and get a job,then you'll have something interesting to say,again.
xxx